Founded more than 35 years ago, the marathon has grown from a relatively inauspicious start to the huge event it is today. The Dublin Marathon accepts entries from all levels of runners and is the perfect “target” to set yourself if you want to start training towards a goal.
Some advice if preparing for the Dublin Marathon:
- First & foremost, consult your GP to take advice on possible limitations and where you could increase performance with supplements.
- Try to start a strict training regime at least 16 weeks in advance. And stick to it.
- Get a pair of specialised trainers, generally half a size bigger to allow for swelling.
- Try to avoid training on concrete or sand.
- Don’t try to do too much too soon, training is also a marathon and not a sprint.
- Get plenty of rest in the days and weeks leading up to the race.
- Make sure to get good nutritional advice while you are preparing like protein v carb intake, foods for muscle recovery and vitamin & mineral supplements
- On race day, have plenty of carbohydrates on board (porridge, cereals) and monitor your liquid intake.
Overall, don’t forget to enjoy yourself, crossing the finish line makes all the hard work worth it
Whether they have run it in less than three hours or jog/walked it and took a while longer, the sense of achievement one gets when finishing a marathon is incomparable. What makes it even better is having one’s friends and family around, or running it for a cause, even if it’s just proving something personal to yourself.
The race this year takes off from Fitzwilliam Square, passing Stephen’s Green and coursing by the Zoo in the Phoenix Park before coming back through the southern suburbs of the city to finish at Merrion Square. This means there will be plenty of opportunity to catch competitors passing by, or even to spend time browsing around the city between the start and finish times!
The Dublin Marathon then is the perfect opportunity to take advantage of Your Home From Home’s luxury self-catering apartments, located around the city centre and only a short walk from both the start and finish line. With our apartments you can set up base and prepare your pre and post-race routines in Dublin just like it was your own home.
With amazing discounts for online booking as well, you can have yourself and your supporters up for the weekend, a stone’s throw from the lines and at a fraction of the cost of a hotel. No matter what time you’re hoping to do, with Your Home From Home you’ll be setting yourself up with a great start.